Sunday, January 13, 2013

Christmas in the heartland

"I will honour Christmas in my heart, and try to keep it all the year. "  
- Charles Dickens, A Christmas Carol

More than a full week into January, the halls of our house are still decked, the garlands, bows, and lights still twinkling.  With the inertia of the holidays, family visits, unpacking, and getting back to work/life routines, we have yet to de-Christmas the house.  And it bugs me.  Every year it bugs me.  I want to get it all put back where it belongs.  Why?  Because it isn't Christmas anymore.  And frankly, it starts to feel old.  That unbridled excitement I feel decorating in November, listening to James Taylor croon familiar classics throughout our home quickly wane in January, when I feel almost itchy with the desire to take it all down again.  

But Christmas should not be something that needs to be taken down, wound up, and put away in a box to be stored in the corner of the basement for 11 months of the year.  The best parts of Christmas...the kindness, generosity, thanksgiving, love, and peace, to name a few... should all be left out of the box.  They should remain on the mantle, decorate the walls, and sing joyfully through every room of the house all the year through.  So as I wrap up each of our beloved ornaments, each representing its own special memory...fold up and pack away each cheery stocking, I will do my best to remember all the things I need to embrace every day, not just on Christmas.

_________________
* * * * * * * *
We made the trek to Indiana for Christmas this year.  Despite a lake effect storm on the way down with slippery roads, Elisa was a true road warrior and slept the whole way so her dad could focus on the white-knuckle conditions.  She wanted to rest up for all the playing she was planning on doing with her cousins!  It was a lovely visit.  Apparently Bloomington wanted to give us a taste of our home in Buffalo and grace us with lots of heavy wintry snow.  There is something so cozy about snow falling outside when you don't have to leave the house...  We really enjoyed our vacation and will hold onto quality family memories all the year through.

 Papa, do you want to let me wear your hat?
It's not too big, is it?
 What do you think about giving me your beloved Weather Channel parka too?
One minute they're bouncing off the walls...
the next they have sugar plums dancing through their heads.  Papa's a natural!
This picture doesn't do justice to how intrigued these ladies are with Uncle Jon's amazing salt water aquarium.  Elisa was glued to the glass for most of our visit.
 Pa rum pum pum pum on Christmas morning.
 Gardener Isaiah ready for spring with his new wheelbarrow!


Why would I need to walk on my own if Dad can help me out?


 Merry Christmas to all...all year long.


1 comment:

  1. What a wonderful time spent with family! Little Elisa is such a sweetheart! Glad your travels were safe/sound. xo

    ReplyDelete