Thursday, November 29, 2012

Giving Thanks

We had a really lovely Thanksgiving.  It was the first time hosting in Buffalo!  We have lived here 5 years now, and perhaps it's because I'm the youngest of the family, but we always head somewhere else for the holidays.  This year, Mom and Mike came to town as they wrap up the sale of their Ithaca home.  Elisa was enamored with all the attention!  Mom, Elisa and I went to pick up our bird from the Gehl family farm on Wednesday, and based on my research of heritage pastured turkeys, put this 15 pound feathered friend into the oven at 2 a.m. for a slow-cooked, succulent roast.  I awoke at 6:30, sure that I had let it go without basting for too long, only to find there were in fact, no drippings at all with which to baste!  Had I failed?  Was this turkey going to be a failure?  I took a deep breath, threw in half a stick of butter and a healthy serving of Pinot Grigio and went back to bed.  The turkey just needed some love, and love it got!  I even tackled my first gravy thanks to the culinary expertise shared over email of Holly Ortman.  Life saver!  A gravy separator, you say?  That wasn't even on my wedding registry!  How have I gotten by without a gravy separator if this is the only way to make said gravy?!  Traveling elsewhere for Thanksgiving is how!  So a Google search and a Ziploc bag later, and voila!  We have gravy!  So enjoy this little turkey day montage.  It is, after all, such a wonderful holiday as the only expectation is sharing thanks for one another around a table of food, should we be so blessed. And we are in fact so very blessed...

 What's that you say?  Thanksgiving already?
 It can't be... well I'll be darned... it is Thanksgiving!
 Ready to go with my coat and my sippy! What's that?  We're not traveling this year?
 Why then let me take a bath and put on my party dress!  Isn't it nice we have running water today considering a water main decided to burst the Wednesday before Thanksgiving?  Thank you DPW for your prompt action!
 Mommy's sous chef
 Enjoying some snuggles with Grandma and a spare stalk of celery.
 12 hours after it went in, this lovely turkey is ready for the table!  (Yes, that is in fact my vintage oven.  Make that two ovens!  And those are what made this meal possible!  She runs like a dream!)
 From left to right:  (Elisa's favorite leftover for breakfast, lunch, and dinner) yam gratin with Gruyere cheese, clean green bean casserole with parsnip and mushroom sauce and caramelized onions, cream cheese mashed potatoes.
 Someone is ready to eat.  Hey, why didn't I get that fancy china and crystal?
 Entranced by all the tasty flavors, she pays no mind to the spout on the reverse side of her cup.  Life is good.
Learning some football knowledge from Grandpa Mike.


 Fast forward to Friday with a belly full of yams and Elisa is ready for her first black Friday.  Look at all these sales!  In reality, we only went out to Michael's to get some birthday party supplies.  We really made the effort for Small Business Saturday, but didn't snap any photos.
Looking very serious with Daddy.
I love this man, but someone get him a new sweatshirt! :)

And with that, we enjoy another year of being thankful for so many things.  We thank God for our family, good health, friends, jobs, a home, and being able to share each day with people we love.  And of course, thanks to anyone reading this blog!  It's a pleasure to share with you.  Happy Holidays!

1 comment:

  1. So impressed with your turkey know-how. And Elisa is THE SWEETEST. Can't get over how cute she is. xo

    ReplyDelete