Monday, December 3, 2012

Weekend Winter Fun

So while we were enjoying our Thanksgiving holiday last weekend, Diego and I decided it would be fun to throw a tennis tournament in the mix.  Diego had been on a tennis hiatus following his meniscus surgery in his knee, but was back and ready for action.  It didn't occur to me that the one who might get injured was me... Thanks to my performance in the summer's Buffalo MUNYs, I was seeded number one in this little Thanksgiving tournament.  I mean, it was so small, that I just had to beat two people to win.  I was playing in the final match, and about to lose in match point.  My opponent was out-playing me, but I loved the challenge because I had not done so well against her in previous match-ups.  Looking to prolong the game, I really wanted to push hard on this point, where she had me 6-3, 5-1 and 40-15 in match point.  I took a wide shot to my right, returned it, and started to boogy back to center court to be ready for the next ball.  Accelerating off my left foot, I heard a pop, which, in the interim of the sound waves and my pain catching  up with one another, I thought I heard a gunshot in our tennis club.  Wow, that was loud, a gun? At Miller?  Ohmygoshthathurts! That was my foot!

Fast forward through an appointment at University Orthopedics and what we have is a ruptured plantar fascia.  Torn, injured, whatever you call it, it hurts, and I can't walk.  I was given a boot to use as it heals, but was told it would likely be 10-12 weeks before I could become active again.  What was that going to mean for the holidays, Elisa's birthday, and helping around the house?  Well, we are learning to take it one day at a time, slow down (mostly me), and count the many blessings we still have.  I like to think it is God's way of forcing me to slow down, because this time of year is full of events on the calendar, cookie exchanges, gift wrapping, holiday decorating, homemade gifts, go-go-go...  This is daunting to say the least.  It was this time last year I couldn't help put up the Christmas tree because I was so pregnant!  But I will take advantage of the time I get to spend with Elisa, just playing on the ground.  When you simply can't get up and actually do things, there are a lot more books that get to be read, giggles heard, and snuggles shared.

After a week of being cooped up in the house, we ventured out to a birthday party for Elisa's friend Remy.  It was a joint birthday/benefit for a local baby (and dear friend to Remy) Nolan, who is in need of a new heart.  Please consider giving:)

Elisa had fun on some new toys, despite being overwhelmed by the number of people who came out to celebrate.

 Okay, Mommy, so are you sure you are going to be able to catch me and take pictures of my first trip down the slide at the same time?  That looks tricky!
 Well, wait, what is happening over there?  I think I see cake!
 On second thought, this is so fun!  Let's get one!
 Phew!  All that sliding has really worked up an appetite.  Cake?
 Mommy, what did you say about what to avoid because of germs?  This is probably clean, right?
 Yeah, this definitely looks clean.  I'll play with it!
 This is no Bubba the pony, but I'll give it a try...
 Look, I'm bouncing!
 I cannot contain all this joy!
 Santa, for Christmas this year, I would like a Matted, Germ-infested Plush Bouncy Pony!
 Hold up, I don't believe I was done with that...
I am definitely sure I wasn't done with that!  It's still my turn!


1 comment:

  1. So sweet Rachel! Love that you documented Elisa's first time down the slide! And the captions (especially the germy ones) are too funny.

    ReplyDelete