Saturday, January 11, 2014

Where'd you come from 2014?

Who "maintains" a blog, only to last update at Halloween, skip entirely over Thanksgiving, Christmas, and New Years?  Well, apparently I do!

I call it just a lack of prioritizing.  But who am I kidding, we've been busy.  I would kind of like to just gloss over Christmas this year, even though I'll acknowledge our many, many blessings.

CONS:  Elisa was sick with a very high fever, congestion, tooth pain, and overall discomfort.  We've never seen her that sick, so that was pretty unpleasant for us all.  We took turns holding her as she slept, basically all day Christmas Eve, Christmas day, and the day after.  She was able to play a bit with her cousins in Michigan, but for the most part, it was sick bay, which we apologetically passed along to at least one of said cousins:(

PROS:  (while less verbose, this list is much longer and more important than the cons) being with family, having healthy families (in the scheme of things we really do have our  health), having a warm home and living in a neighborhood known for exceptional drainage during recent heavy rains (thank you Onondaga Escarpment!), jobs we like that also give us vacation, and generally positive outlook on the year ahead.

I'm currently trying to get Elisa down for a nap (we're trying to get back into a schedule after holidays and visitors).  I have been trying to rationalize with her (am I crazy?) and tell her that at school she naps, and that her buddies were probably all sleeping right now, so could she lie down for a nap too?  She is probably playing me, and asked to go on the potty, to which I of course oblige, excitedly.  Instead, she's reading books to herself and her bear and baby, without so much as a drop going in the potty.  Played, I tell you.

I was trying to get done some work done today on this Friday with an upcoming deadline.  That's pretty taboo for me, since I made the choice to take Fridays off, specifically to spend more time with Elisa.  So, this is not a trend or a habit I plan to continue!  But alas, it's allowing me to actually jump on the computer on an "off day."

A happy helper

Loving on Luna


2014 Updates
Elisa has a booming vocabulary.  Sometimes she likes to talk just to hear herself, I'm pretty sure.  She sings the whole alphabet:

A b c d e f g, h i k k elmo pee!  Q r s, t u b, dub-u, x, y and z.  Now I a b c d e, next time wont you sing wiff me!

She likes to talk about her friends at school, teachers, various animals, her routines, swim class...

She sneaks in silly faces whenever possible, my favorite of which is her "mad face" because she cannot keep it for more than a few seconds before busting out into a smile or giggle.  She is more playful than ever, roaring, squealing, and jumping up on our backs to wrestle.  It's definitely a fun time in her life.  She is gaining more independence, even though she has only just started insisted on doing a few things herself (zipping up, putting on hat), and the dependence she has on us for things like, "snuggle, Daddy" is entirely endearing and heartwarming.

She also loves her books.  My favorite phrase as of late is definitely, "I laahv you, Mommy!" She knows it gets me, so she says it at random times, and also when I'm not particularly happy with her behavior.  Nicely done, kid.



She's thrilled with her kitchen she received for Christmas.   When Diego and I gave it to her, he told me beforehand that while he assembled it, we didn't have any batteries, but that he would get some later.  As soon as she opened it, she was thrilled.  She tried out the play faucet, and then went right for the burner buttons (she enjoyed playing with this same kitchen just weeks prior at Elliott's house).  Sans batteries, she soon exclaimed, "not working?" Diego's heart sank, and immediately he promised he would fix it for her.  After a quick trip out to Best Buy for batteries (the Friday night before Christmas, just before closing, and 500 other people had the same idea to stop in), he had it up and running for her to enjoy the next morning.  Ever since, she has been eager to serve us multiple beverage options from her little cafe, including coffee, water, tea, as well as other inventive creations such as fish and grape soup (sometimes served with a spatula), tomatoes and apples, and bananas and carrots.  She keeps us full and entertained.



She loves doing hair and getting her hair done.  She practices on all clients:  Mom, Dad, Luna.  (She has transitioned from pretending to potty, to now standing pantless behind me pulling my hair into a messy ponytail, as she checks me out from the front, grunting, "all dressed up!" "that better?" "look, ok" "ready?"  She's a very attentive and passionate stylist.

Perfecting Tio Jorge's coif

Daddy's turn


This random assortment of Elisa updates will have to suffice until I get my ducks in line and put together some happenings over the past few months.

Health, happiness, and joy to all in this 2014!

1 comment: